Market House was built in 1773 as a dry goods market. Since then it's been used as a barracks for French soldiers during the Revolution, government offices, and a Masonic lodge. Today it's owned by the Rhode Island School of Design and is used by the Department of Film/Animation and the Division of Fine Arts. An art gallery is housed on the first floor.
Photo from Old Stone Bank History of Rhode Island Volume IV by John Williams Haley (1944).

Return to Washington's Fourth Visit to Rhode Island

© 1999–2017 Quahog.org (with the exception of elements provided by contributors, as noted).